OVER 25 NEW TRAINING PROGRAMS PRE-APPROVED FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
January 2018 Unemployment Rate Announced for the Capital Region
TALLAHASSEE, FL – According to the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, the regional unemployment rate for Gadsden, Leon, and Wakulla counties was 4.0 percent for January 2018.
The region’s rate was 0.2 percent higher than the region’s rate for the previous month and 0.1 percent lower than the state’s rate for January 2018. Wakulla County’s unemployment rate remained the lowest in the Capital Region at 3.6 percent. Leon County followed at 3.9 percent. Gadsden County was at 5.3 percent. There were a total of 7,477 unemployed residents in the Capital Region.
The top five advertised occupations in the Capital Region in January and February 2018 were as follows:
- Registered Nurses
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
- Management Analysts
- Business Operation Specialists
“In the Capital Region, as we continue to face a talent shortage in key industry sectors, we have increased our efforts to connect career seekers with training for in-demand careers,” stated Jim McShane, Chief Executive Officer of CareerSource Capital Region. “As a part of this effort, we have expanded the list of programs that are now eligible for financial assistance through our Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act funding.”
In February, CareerSource Capital Region added over twenty-five local education programs to its list of pre-approved, eligible programs. There are as follows:
- Big Bend Technical College: Practical Nursing
- Florida Panhandle Technical College: Patient Care Technician
- Gadsden Technical Institute: Automotive Service Technology, Carpentry, Patient Career Assistant, Pharmacy Technician, Welding Technology
- Tallahassee Community College: Business Entrepreneurship, Business Management, Computer Programming & Analysis, Computer Programming Specialist, Computer Programming & Web Development, Graphic Design Support, Graphic & Web Design Technology, Health Information Technology, Help Desk/Technical Support, Medical Billing and Coding Specialist, Network Systems Technology, Network Support Technician, Network Infrastructure, Network Enterprise Administration, Network Virtualization, Office Administration, Office Management, Office Specialist, Office Support, and Small Business Management
Career seekers who are interested in pursuing training may qualify for up to $10,000 in financial aid from CareerSource Capital Region. Career seekers are encouraged to complete an online pre-application questionnaire at www.careersourcecapitalregion.com or by visiting a CareerSource Capital Region career center in Tallahassee, Quincy, or Crawfordville.
To download a complete list of local programs that are eligible for financial aid, visit www.careersourcecapitalregion.com.
Educational providers who are interested in submitting programs for consideration can call (850) 414-6085 for more information.
For more information about the Capital Region’s Unemployment Report for January 2018, click here.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
March 20, 2018
Selena Coles Office (850) 617-4554, Cell (850) 508-1698
About CareerSource Capital Region
CareerSource Capital Region connects employers with qualified, skilled talent and Floridians with employment and career development opportunities to achieve economic prosperity in Gadsden, Leon and Wakulla counties. Solutions for career seekers include one-on-one career advising, interviewing and resume-writing assistance, employment workshops, and labor market information. Solutions for employers include recruitment assistance, skills assessments for applicants, customized training, and information on tax incentives. Employers and career seekers are matched through the Employ Florida Marketplace system. All solutions are provided at no cost. Programs funded through CareerSource Capital Region are equal opportunity programs with auxiliary aids and services available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Persons using TTY/TTD equipment use Florida Relay Service 711. A proud partner of the American Job Center network.